One of the hardest things we can learn is to take care of ourselves.
We are in constant motion, worrying about our work, our families, and our ever growing to-do lists. But one of the best ways to help ourselves get more done in less time, is to stop every so often and refuel with a little self love.
So today I am going to help you discover 30 fun ways to show yourself a little self love. Obviously none of us can accomplish all 30 of these right away, but it gives you a place to start. Find a few things that sound good to you, and get started with some much needed loving on yourself today!
1. Sit in a comfortable chair, under a fuzzy blanket, and drink a glass of wine. Indulge in some much needed comfort and alone time.
2. Read a book. The statistics of adults who never touch a book again after college are terrifying. Take some time to read. Read for pleasure, or read to learn something new. I have a bad habit of feeling guilty when I am just reading for pleasure - so I instead read to learn, which actually brings me greater happiness in the end.
3. Paint your nails - we all know they need it (for the ladies at least - but boys - there is nothing wrong with a nice pedicure for you too!).
4. Go see a movie...by yourself.
5. Get your groceries delivered. Grocery shopping can be time consuming, and rather miserable for most. Take advantage of modern day delivery or curb side pickup, and use that saved hour to indulge in a little R&R.
6. Go through your closet and ditch anything that doesn't serve you anymore. Maybe that sounds like a funny self care activity. But getting rid of things that do not bring you joy can be overwhelmingly satisfying. And the next time you open your closet, it will only be filled with things you love!
7. Take a nap. Enough said.
8. Find a fun new recipe, pour yourself a glass of wine, put on your favorite music, and actually enjoy cooking, just for the sake of cooking.
9. Do a puzzle. Or maybe a sudoku or crossword puzzle.
10. Color in a new coloring book. Its fun to be a kid sometimes. I find it even more satisfying with a glass of wine.
11. Pin a vision board of everything you want for the next 5-10 years. A little day dreaming of the things your striving for can do you some serious good.
12. Take a long relaxing bath - or long hot shower if you are weird like me and hate bathtubs! Light some candles, put on some soothing music and wash the day away.
13. Have an intense workout session. Now this is not for everyone. Working out can be a chore like task for a lot of people. But if you are always busy, and never have time to workout - getting in an intense workout can help you release some stress and make you feel sexy!
14. Start learning something new. Always wanted to learn Italian, or how to knit? Start!
15. Get up early. Before the family. Make yourself breakfast, have a hot cup or coffee, read a book and enjoy a quiet, relaxing morning.
16. Do something creative. Maybe give painting a try or a fun craft.
17. Cuddle with your pet. Because is there really anything better than that?
18. Go to a museum. Experience some beautiful art, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the space.
19. Watch a stand up comedy show. Some side bending laughs can be extremely self healing.
20. Have a girls night IN. Thats right. Curl up on the couch with your girls, a nice glass of red wine, and a chick flick.
21. Get some sun. Most of us are severely Vitamin D deficient - likely because of the massive amount of time we spend inside for work. Carve out some time to get some rays - even if it is just sitting on a bench outside the office for your 15 minute break. A few minutes a day can make a huge difference.
22. Have a cup of coffee at your favorite coffee shop.
23. Go on a long walk. A great way to get some fresh air, without stressing yourself out about a work out - but you still burn calories!
24. Unfollow negative people on social media. It feels really good.
25. Watch a Ted Talk and get inspired.
26. Clean out your email inbox. If you are like me, you let junk mail pile up for far too long. Clean it out and see how relived you feel.
27. Spend one entire day off of social media.
28. Fill your planner with designated "me" time for the next month. And start to look forward to it!
29. Plan a night at home by yourself. Send your hubby out with the guys, and your kids to a friends house. Enjoy some time to yourself in your own space.
30. Meditate. Mediation is hard when you first start, but the benefits can be immense. Use a quiet meditation session to relax and feel refreshed.
Not all of these ideas will be for everyone, but they give you a place to start.
Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Showing a little self love is a great way to take care of both. Remember that taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of everyone around you.
Show yourself a little self love this week.